Easton Library

1074 NYS ROUTE 40 GREENWICH, NY 12834-9518 518-692-2253

Easton Library History

March 28, 1879

Easton Library Association founded as part of the Easton Friends’ Seminary

June 18, 1879

Original charter of Easton Library Association

1890’s

Friends’ Seminary experienced several temporary closings and the library services were moved to three or four Easton homes

February 28, 1895

Admitted to the University of the State of New York under the name of Easton Library

May 8, 1902

Library moved to Burton Hall; the name was changed to Burton Free Library

October 17, 1907

Library incorporated and registered

November, 1937

First Election Day fund raiser for book purchases

March 25, 1939

60th anniversary celebration; 200 attended

August 6, 1940

Special meeting to discuss library expansion

January, 1946

“We are determined to get more room for the library, ‘A Red Hot’ meeting inside Burton Hall!” – Minutes of Trustees Meeting –

March 3, 1950

Deed for present plot of land donated to Library Association

1953 — 1955

Construction of library building

September 10, 1955

Library building dedication ceremony

December 20, 1957

Name officially changed back to Easton Library

January 29, 1960

Joined Southern Adirondack Library System (SALS)

1962

Phone installed

1964

Sound recordings and magazines added to holdings

1968

Film projector purchased

1970

Friends of the Library began with 54 members

March 17, 1971

Display case installed

1972

Library hours expanded to include Wednesday

1975

Library basement renovated for Children’s Room

1977

Library Bicentennial Project completed: 600 slides of Easton on file

June 20, 1979

Strawberry Festival celebrating 100 years of library service

September 21, 1980

Silver Tea celebrating 25 years in library building

1981

First issue of Easton Library Newsletter

1982

Photocopier purchased

1983

Preliminary discussions on library expansion at Trustees meeting

1985

SALS grant to microfilm Town of Easton historical records

October 6, 1985

Open House to mark 30 years in Easton Library building

1986

Videocassettes available for circulation

1988

Computerized card catalogue installed; combined holdings of SALS and MVLA available

1990

Building expansion fund established

1991

Library acquires permanent easement which made expansion feasible

October 26 1992

Trustees vote to apply for Federal LSCA Title II grant for library construction

1993 — 1994

Construction of library addition

1994

Multimedia computer learning center and CD-ROM software installed

1995

Library hours expanded to include Monday evenings

January 20, 1995

Public reception to formally open renovated Children’s Room, completed by Christopher Borden as Eagle Scout project

November 5, 1995

Dedication of the Easton Library addition

1998                                                                                                                                       

Library hours expanded to include Saturday mornings

February 7, 1999

Gertrude Allen board president retires after serving the library for more than 30 years

 

 

1999

Purchased new computer, printer and word processing software                                                       Internet now available                                                                                                                                              Library website created                                                                                                                                               Board votes to participate in SALS/MVLS Joint Automation Project 

2000

Preparing for automation: collection barcoded, borrower cards issued, staff training

2001

Fully automated service (circulation and interlibrary loan)

2004

Library charter amended to Association Town                                                   Library hours expanded (5 additional hours open)                                                 First ever fund appeal to the library community

2005

Daily pick up and delivery for interlibrary loan

2007

Netlibrary providing patrons with free downloadable audiobooks          Wireless network now available throughout the building

2009

Library now has 3 online public access computers                                      Overdrive service now providing downloadable ebooks and audiobooks Library hosts launch of Teri Gay book Strength Without Compromise”  that highlights the Easton Political Equality Club

2011

Library granted 501C3 status by federal government